Tips to Promote Oral Hygiene
Do you want to know about the plaque?
Plaque is the sticky substance that has millions of bacteria accumulated on your teeth which will not flush out despite of brushing. The fact is that, tooth brush cannot remove plaque. Many of the food items that are consumed by the people will open doors for bacterial growth and this bacterium in turn produces acid. The main thing that results in plaque is sugary food items. Many people do not know the harm the sugary food items are causing to the teeth until and unless they still on the dentist chair with tooth pain.
This is the sticky layer that forms on the teeth which cannot be flushed out despite of brushing rigorously. The food items that are rich in carbohydrates and sugars will be a feast for the bacteria in the mouth to produce acids. Sugary foods open door for the formation of plaque on your teeth which will take a toll on the oral health of the person. There are a few food items such as bread, cereals, and crackers which produce acids. Excess formation of plaque will cause severe irritation to the gums and eventually results in gum bleeding. This problem has to be treated initially, otherwise it gets aggravated and leads to gum disease. When gums are prone to disease, it gets off from the teeth and form pockets and this pocket area are filled with pus and millions of bacteria particles. If gum is not treated properly, then the teeth around the gum get destroyed or teeth may become loose. Either of these cases lead to tooth extraction.
Tips to get rid of plaque
The smart option to get rid of plaque is to brush and clean your teeth rigorously twice a day with a soft toothbrush. Brushing will keep plaque accumulated on the tooth’s surface quickly. You need to only use a soft bristled brush to brush the teeth to avoid bleeding from gums. You need to pick the toothbrush size and shape that easily let you to reach even harder to brush areas in your mouth. In addition, you need to use anti-bacterial toothpaste that is power-packed with fluoride to keep the teeth away from decay and cavities. You need to use floss or interdental cleaners to keep plaque accumulated between the teeth at bay. Doing flossing rigorously will help you fight gum disease.
Tips to brush and floss the teeth
The American Dental Association has recommended the below easy techniques to brush and floss teeth
• You need to place the brush in 45 degree angle to your gums
• Brush back and forth gently to clean every area in the mouth
• Brush inner, outer and chew surface of the teeth gently
• Brush your tongue thoroughly to keep bad breath at bay
• Use tip of the brush to clean the inside surface of the teeth gently up and down
• You need to wind floss around your middle finger and hold the floss tightly between your forefingers and thumb
• Use a rubbing motion to let the floss, go in between the teeth
• Floss passed to the gum line will be curved in C shape against each tooth. You need to slide the floss between the gum and tooth.
• Carefully bring the floss back to the contact point and move floss up and down on the tooth sides. You need to move the floss as per the shape of the tooth
• Hold the floss tightly to rub the sides of the tooth while moving the floss away from the gums in up and down motions
• You need to reiterate the same procedure to clean the other teeth
Are there other methods to clean my mouth?
You need to rinse the mouth after eating anything thoroughly. By brushing and flossing the teeth, it promotes sound dental health. By using anti-bacterial gargling water to clean the mouth, it keeps the formation of plaque and bacteria besides fighting gum diseases and gingivitis. You need to use the gargling water that is rich in fluoride to fight tooth decay. You need to get in touch with the dentist while trying a new toothpaste or anti-bacterial mouth rinse. It is not prescribed for everyone to use a fluoride mouth rinse. For example, fluoride rinse is not recommended for kids under 6 years as there are high chances of them gulping the water. You need to check the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and follow the precautions while using the anti-bacterial mouth rinse. You need to get the prescription from the dentist to use a fluoride mouth rinse.