Mouth sores are one of the pathetic disease or situation for most of us. We were not sure about this phenomenon and usually, it attacks everyone. Since it will slowly cure, we won’t bother or research about this disease. Mouth sores are some type of ulcers seen in the cheeks, lips, gums, tongue or in the soft palate. The reason for mouth sores are various. And we are not sure about the actual reason. The symptoms usually occur for the mouth sores are, a burning sensation inside the mouth, pain in and around of the sores or ulcers. In a severe case, people may have a fever, swollen lymph nodes etc. Let us discuss the topic how to get rid of mouth sores in detail.
Reasons Of Mouth Sores
The major reasons for the mouth sores are,
- Biting your tongue, cheeks or lips.
- Burnings occurred while eating hot food items.
- Wounds caused by the braces, dentures or other dental objects fixed in the mouth.
- Consumption of acidic foods.
- Due to gastrointestinal problems.
- Due to stress.
The canker sores are a little bit more painful than other sores. They are not contiguous and occurred due to various problems. Canker sores are ulcers with grey color with a red outer ring. The reasons for the canker sores are listed below.
- Low immunity – It may be due to some infections
- Hormone Changes – Especially in the time of teenage as well as pregnancy
- Stress – Uncontrollable tension may contribute to hormone imbalance.
- Sensitivity to Acidic foods – Some people may have problems while taking acidic foods.
- Poor diet – Diet which is low in Vitamins and minerals. (Especially Vitamin B12)
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (found in toothpaste and mouthwashes) – This ingredient will remove the protective lining of the mouth and hence cause canker sores.
Cold sores are the small ulcers seen in the lips. They may have some fluid in it. They are caused by herpes simplex virus and a contiguous type of mouth sore. The virus can be dormant for years and when a suitable chance occurs they will trigger again.
Major reasons for cold sores are
- Stress – over tension and work pressure or other issues
- Weakened immune system – Due to some other diseases like HIV/AIDS
- Sun exposure
- Hormone changes
When cold sores are started you will have an itching sensation around the lips and the small blisters start to break. There will be a fluid flow and at last, it is covered by the crust.
Mouth sores from Braces & Dentures
If you are recently adjusted or installed braces then there is a chance of mouth sores are seen. You will be irritated by the new additions to your mouth as well as due to mouth sores you may have great pain. There will be difficulty in consuming food or to talk. A remedy to this is to use orthodontist wax. This will be prescribed by your doctor or else you will get it from the pharmacy. This wax will not reduce the pain or quicken the healing. But help you in controlling the mouth sores to an extent.
Mouth sores caused by dentures affect the gum and cheeks the more. If your dentures are misplaced, immediately report it to the doctor in order to avoid the serious mouth sores. The dentist can provide the medicines for pain relief.
Read More: Braces In Dubai
How To Get Rid Of Mouth Sores
The mouth sores are usually healed within a period of 10 to 14 days. But some intense mouth sores needs medical attention to cure. The usual home remedies used for the mouth sores are,
- Gargle with salt water. The salt at first increase the pain but after that, the ulcers will be cured.
- Drink more water to avoid dehydration in the mouth. Saliva can also help you in healing the sores.
- If your diet is missing vitamins like Vitamin B12, add food items like egg, fish, milk products etc.
- Avoid food items which are acidic, and spicy. These food items will make the situation worse.
- If you have mouth sores frequently try to change the brush as well as toothpaste. Try to buy toothpaste that doesn’t have Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.